Saturday, August 3, 2013

Shopping

 I had an unexpected day off from work today, so I headed up to our local running shop.  I've never owned purpose made running shorts, and some of my athletic shorts I have been wearing do this really annoying crotch wad thing.  So, I browsed through the sale rack and came up with two pair of running shorts with integrated compression shorts for 40% off--a pair of Nike and a pair of Mizuno.  I hope to give one pair of them a test run later this afternoon.

While I was there I couldn't resist picking up a decal that pretty much sums things up.  Pretty sure it's going to look pretty spiff on my little roller skate I drive these days.

I also did a quick browse through the shoe wall because my current Brooks may be getting a little tired.  Like many people, I'm a pretty big pronator so I have to pay close attention to my shoes.  I'm a little hampered in selection because I wear a size 14.  Usually my local shop only has one or two models that run in 14.  I get that they probably don't sell very quickly, as there's not a lot of people with feet as long as mine.  But, I sure wish they'd have a little better selection.  I like to support my local resources, but unfortunately I may end up shopping online for shoes--which creates problems all in itself.

Next I swung by The Vitamin Shoppe and picked up a protein supplement.  One of the things I really love about MyFitnessPal is the ease of tracking where my calories are coming from.  Over the last month I've noticed that I consistently miss my protein percentage by about 20 grams a day.  I'm focusing on trying to get those grams in whole foods, but there are days it's just not feasible.  Enter protein powder.  A big concern I have is that most protein powders/supplements appear to be formulated for the weightlifter trying to pack on muscle and weight.  Frankly that's the very last thing I want to do, and it's a legitimate fear for me as my frame and musculature would easily support the muscle bound look. My body make up is very dense--I weigh much more than you might expect for my size.  True, I am significantly overweight, but even with all that extra fat, I'm a good 30 lbs heavier than it appears.  Anyway, I'm going to try this, and hope that I don't turn into a mini Arnold while I'm at it.

Edited to add:  Just ran in a pair of my new shorts.  They are amazing, I've never run so fast in my life. 

Ok, that may be an exaggeration.

Actually I didn't think about them one single time while I was running.  Which is a huge win!