Sunday, August 4, 2013

Embrace Life

Recently I've started following a local emergency services scanner service on Facebook. The owners of the page essentially post real-time updates about all the ongoing emergencies in my local metro area.  The service is so on top of things that by the time things are "breaking news" on regular news channels, it's often hours old news.

It's also been quite startling to witness the sheer volume of major emergencies that occur locally each day.  And it's eye opening how many people lose their lives just in the cities surrounding where I carry on my daily life.  In fact I no longer have any desire to get back on a motorcycle--I used to ride--because there are 5-6 motorcycle accidents a day during the week.  Double that on the weekends, and it just never goes the biker's way.

All this has really caused me to be a tad philosophical lately, and particularly today on the treadmill.  As such, I'd like to share the following with you, if you haven't yet seen it.  It is one of the most brilliant public service commercials I have ever seen.  It originally aired in Great Britain, but a few years ago it went viral here in the States as well.  It's only a minute and a half long, but it is immensely powerful.

I read so many of your blogs and I see you talk about your beautiful families and vibrant lives.  Please be safe out there in this big bad world.

And give those you hug some love.